At AAJ Technologies, we take the time to envision the digital future of your business through a deep analysis of your goals, company culture, and desired outcomes. Southeast Health, a critical access hospital located in Missouri, requested an interactive in-patient entertainment and educational system that could be used to enhance the patient experience, and provide on-demand employee education at their critical access facility. Southeast Health has been a trusted health care resource in the community for nearly 100 years.
Critical access hospitals face many challenges, one is being geographically isolated with fewer resources. Southeast Health wanted to improve upon existing services, placing their hospital in a position of strength within the community. They understood that engaged patients often see better outcomes, reduced readmissions and enhanced satisfaction. Interactive services allow hospitals to customize patient education and information sharing for a variety of medical needs. The patient entertainment system at Southeast Health was insufficient. They were previously streaming movies, which consisted of a plug-in keyboard, and Firefox browser. They requested a patient experience platform for 30+ private rooms that included movies, local programming, an ability to browse the web, with access to educational information about procedures, medications and surgeries. Southeast Health requested an application that provided a “Netflix” like viewing experience, ease-of-use, and physical placement within reach of the hospital bed.
Important aspects of the patient interactive system:
- On demand movies, updated monthly
- Live TV programming
- Medical education and instructional information
- Web browsing
The Technology Solution
AAJ Technologies designed an interactive patient entertainment and educational system. The project included:
- Newly designed application for multi-cast television channels, movies and videos on demand
- Universal Windows Application, with a touchpad for patients
- New Terminals built from Windows 10 to look like Netflix, with physical placement in the bedside table
- Ease of use, intuitive design and reliable connectivity
The average patient watches television at home between four to six hours each day. In the hospital, that number can jump to eleven to twelve hours, providing an excellent touch point for patient engagement opportunities. Based on individual patient information, patients have the option of viewing relevant content, or being “prescribed” videos and educational resources to improve adherence to care plans, medications and post discharge instructions. Patients engaged in their own care are more likely to post-acute care plans and follow up instructions. Benefits achieved included:
- Staff reduced nurse calls through an improved ability to provide consistent delivery of healthcare education
- Patients are empowered with individual preferences, creating a stronger partnership between patients and providers
- Patients are better able to cope with hospitalization, pain and anxiety through multi-faceted entertainment options
- Engaged and educated hospital patients better manage their conditions from home, reducing readmissions rates and improving patient satisfaction
About AAJ Technologies
By embracing your challenges and focusing on your business goals, we create technology solutions that not only solve problems, but also enable you to grow through continued innovation. We use a real-world design-thinking mindset that allows us to form a deep understanding of your business, its culture and challenges, and your markets. Our expert engineers, designers and architects have the practical experience required to take your operations digital, to share information securely, and to explore the potential of today’s digital world. Your result is a digital platform that transforms and modernizes your business, consolidates data and brings valuable insights to your team for continued innovation into the future.
For more information on how AAJ Technologies can digitally transform your organization, please contact us.